Monday 6 August 2012

THE CONSTIPATION REMEDY

Hola,

I saw my friend looking up the astrology section of the sunday newspaper hoping to find a divine solution to her love-woes-Domestic disputes are likely to afflict you and tact and calm can help you tide through these times. Well, I think it makes for a good joke and i'm sure Ganesha and venus and Madonna would enjoy this over some green tea. Most of us like to imagine that there is an external explanation to the shit we are in and sometimes you might be right but the truth I believe is that you brought it on yourself. You decided to join a medical school, go for auditions everyday, sleepwalk to the nearest garbage truck and maybe, god forbid, make choices to be happy. The What to do to be happy being the most difficult decision. Now that road is filled with unpaid bills, cheap food, and unemployment. We are here this one time for sure and you don't know if you're coming back-maybe as an Antelope but that doesn't count ever. You never chose your parents, sure you raced but that race was rigged and you made it through your pushy/sweet/understanding/cruel/bad-breathed/awesome mother with your father looking down at your closed eyes deciding where would she/he fit. Indeed your infant bones show promise so you become a cricketer or your head is slightly larger so you're obviously finding the 4th law of motion.  Whatever is your deformity is your parent's hope for a slightly better future for you. But have we once sat and thought about who do we want to be exactly and found the answer? Mostly we know what we don't want to be but beyond that it's a nice cozy hole reserved for your dreams and you forget all about it when you wake up to your alarm to rush to college.

Now this is what I think is important.

Smiling a lot. And cracking bad jokes. Chances are your jokes will get better and more people will smile.
Do what you like. If you like writing then write. If not a 1000 page novel then at least a damn blog and don't write once a year. That doesn't count(yep that's for me)
Make some good friends who'll keep you sane through the race that never ended.
Don't hurt other people-you'll only hurt yourself-if you manage to live beyond 50. Regrets stem from decisions you made and not the ones others made for you.
Don't hurt yourself.
And those choices to be successful/rich/famous, throw them out the window wrapped in expensive toilet paper.

Now you think you don't really know what you want but the truth is there is something you always enjoyed doing and chances you'd have been damn good at it but you never tried. Now you're stuck in college doing a course in advanced zoology but for you these guys look best on a plate dead. You're in for a bad year so you go to that store and buy yourself a guitar and strum your hunger away. Whatever it is you like invest some time in them. You definitely won't regret it and maybe you'll even make the G3 tour. But if you don't it still doesn't matter.

I'm not preaching. I have friends who told me to drink water since i'm always constipated and it worked. So i'm telling you what I know. I have my guitar, I sing loudly in the shower, paint my walls and write my blog every two weeks. And I know what I want most-   giddy lightness.

No comments:

Post a Comment