Thursday 19 January 2012

dejavu


Did this word sound magical to you?
Mysterious much?
It did to me before I looked it up in Google. Now I know it’s just an undesirable electrical discharge from our brain. There are several explanations as to why this phenomenon occurs- leave it to us Homo sapiens to find reason- and all of them concur on it being SOME sort of mental anomaly purely related to our bodily functions. I have had several experiences of déjà vu and each time, the uncanny nature of it has propelled me towards a sort of hope. This hope springs from the disappointment of my ephemeral lack of faith in the mystic. This condition is disturbing since it manifests itself in oscillating periods of supernatural strength and alternately despair and a deep dark festering sore( add as many more synonyms as you can) of cynicism. Every time I experienced déjà vu, my companions and I felt a mutual tug of hope, a surrender of rationality, a transient hope- at least I like to think that-that maybe there is something more to our existence than science that perpetuates a comfort; something mysterious and something more beautiful than the sky; a collection of consciousness, the possibility of afterlife. The possibility of heaven. I just found the roots of the word déjà vu and am once again thwarted in my quest of finding meaning. I would like to believe that déjà vu means divine intervention or the hidden path BUT just as I know today that Jesus was an extraordinarily great man and not THE only son of god, déjà-vu means already seen. This is especially annoying to my sensibility since I liken already seen as the typical condescending attitude we Homo sapiens would hold up to any word of mystical dimensions by withholding the right of any mysticism to its credit. Giving it the garb of the most scientific and simple word doesn’t however take anything away from its mysticism. My only consolations to the Frenchwoman who can never confuse déjà vu with mysticism; to the rest of us déjà vu still holds a special place. Today I hope to find an unexplainable coincidence which I would call a miracle. What do you hold dear? Your life and its comfort or its meaning?

Today I choose sentimentality
                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment